Disabilities were a problem a long time ago. Today, having some kind of disability does not necessarily mean you have a big problem. There are better or worse cases but people tend to adapt to whatever changes their life made. Because we mean well, we will try to help out by giving you some useful tips for moving with disabilities. May the first one be to hire movers Verona NJ, a company you can trust.
Moving with disabilities, is ti hard?
That actually depends on what kind of disability we are facing. If it is a scenario where the person is restricted to do very little or nothing, then it is actually very simple, they should hire Interstate movers NJ and let them do the work. People with more severe disabilities should not do anything regarding the move except call the movers and inform them about the details of the move. On the other hand, people who have certain disabilities but are still able and willing to participate in everything can do exactly that but carefully. No one can or should try to prevent a person to do anything. A disabled person usually knows exactly what they can, should, or cannot do. It is not our opinion that is valid but their experience. They should not be treated as incapable unless they really are.
Important organization tips
The thing is, moving with less severe disabilities can be absolutely fine and be done without any problems. Nevertheless, it must be organized perfectly. We are going to make a list of things you cannot skip if you want your organization to be perfect and detailed, as it should be.
- Make a detailed plan- Remember to give yourself more time than you think you might need. This is very important because disabilities generally slow you down. So, for you to be calm and not have to worry about anything being late or never, give yourself the time you need and do not rush anything.
- Make a list- Make more than one list. Anything that you should remember, do not, make a list instead. Add stuff that is important, that you should not forget, add reminders, anything. This is highly recommended generally, especially when moving with disabilities.
- Call movers on time- When we say this, we actually mean call them earlier than you normally would. This is for various reasons. Maybe they have special contracts for people with disabilities that actually protect you during this move. Maybe they even have special equipment they use in certain situations. It all depends on the nature of your disability, we are just giving examples of possible situations.
What to look for in a home when moving with disabilities
Again, we do not know the details and the nature of your disability but we are giving you examples of what you should look for, and look out for. Not all of these will apply to you hopefully. Nevertheless, if they do, we are glad that we named them.
- Steps can and usually are a problem. Steps inside of the home, at the entrance and similar. Finding a home without steps would be ideal or a person with a disability that makes steps of any sort, a problem.
- Easy reach. Having cabinets, shelves and similar withing reach is very important for a person with any kind of disability. It would be recommended if everything was at maximum head height. Sometimes, even that is too much.
- Wide doors. Some disabilities require a lot of space. Wider doorframes and hallways are necessary for people who have mobility aids.
- Working surfaces in the kitchen should be low enough to be used while seated.
- Check the home for any possible hazards.
- Generally check the entire home for any possible problems and to see if certain modifications, if needed, can be made now or in the future.
This is a special and separate topic we would like to further explain the importance of. People with disabilities tend to be very openminded, capable, hardheaded yet sensitive beyond the comprehension of other people who do not have any disabilities. They can retroactively show certain consequences of a move that they, at the moment of the move, did not show. People tend to get attached to spaces and other people. For people with disabilities, attachment is somewhat necessary. They need to stick to a schedule and other patterns in life because of their disability. Not all of them, but most. It is because of these things that a move can cause mental damage to them that cannot be seen at first. Love, appreciation, understanding, and calmness are the things they must feel when going through a big change that is moving. This can happen to anyone.
This was our guide for moving with disabilities
It is our hope that you have managed to get some useful advice from our guide for moving with disabilities. We think that we have provided you with good information you will take into consideration when moving to a new home. All of this came from our wish to help you in any way we can. Maybe you have a situation that is not so common and some of our advice was not as helpful as it is for others but at least we gave you a heads up and reminded you of important things you should search for when moving to a new home and everything that goes with that. Anyway, take care of yourself, get proper help for this process, and enjoy your new home. We wish you good luck!